The history of the Certosa di Maggiano in Siena, is a history of passion and love of a woman, Anna Grossi Recordati, who struck by the beauty of this Carthusian monastery decided to bring it back to life. Once home to monks from the carthusian order, which is currently one of the very old orders of christianity founded in 1084 by St. Bruno (a German born ecclesiastical writer) the Certosa di Maggiano, built in 1314 on donation of Cardinal Riccardo Petroni as a place designed for meditation and prayer, was in the XVI century involved in a harsh war between Carl V Emperor of Spain and Henry II King of France. In part destroyed but still intact in its charm, life was running quietly until 1782 when the Grand Duke of Tuscany Leopoldo II decided to remove the cells to the friars and to sell them to private. In 1969 it’s a new rebirth, this is when Anna Grossi Recordati fall in love with the imposing but destroyed charm of the Certosa and firmly decided to bring it back to its new glory. Restored by Renzo Mongiardino, who is among the architects and interior decorators that more have conditioned and marked the art of decorating in the last half century, the Certosa di Maggiano which initially was designed and conceived as a private house, first opened as a Residence Hotel and then became Siena's first luxury hotel. Today, the Certosa comprises 6 acres of countryside and gardens with 3000 square feet of architecture between arcades, cloisters and chapels turned into luxury interiors and exclusive suites. It's like this that Anna Grossi Recordati has turned from a home into an luxury boutique Hotel, the most ancient Carthusian monastery in Tuscany; that still today after 30 years of activity she continues to manage with the same passion and dedication side-by-side her daughter Anna Claudia. An oasis of peace and tranquility in one of the most suggestive areas of Siena and Tuscany, this is what the Hotel Certosa di Maggiano is all about.